The Regional Transportation Council is the independent transportation policy body of the Metropolitan Planning Organization. The RTC meets the second Thursday of each month, and the RTC’s 44 members include local elected or appointed officials from the metropolitan area and representatives from each of the area’s transportation providers. The RTC oversees the metropolitan transportation planning process. Primary activities:
- Guiding the development of multimodal transportation plans and programs.
- Determining the allocation of federal, state and regional transportation funds.
- Selecting transportation projects in some programs and recommending projects to the Texas Transportation Commission for other programs.
- Ensuring transportation providers coordinate services.
- Ensuring the metropolitan area complies with state and federal laws and regulations regarding transportation and air quality.